Top of the News
Rehearsals resume on Sept. 24
For a full (but tentative!) schedule for next year, check out Rehearsal Calendar
from the conductor
Ladies and Gentlemen of the orchestra,
Thank you for a wonderful concert. We had some lofty goals for yesterday's performance and I think we did very well. So many aspects of our playing have improved this year including precision, balance, and intonation. I appreciate all the dedication and preparation that each of you contributes. It is really a satisfying feeling to walk away from such a successful performance.
My congratulations go to Alex for his inspiring Mozart. The trumpets were a joy to hear. And the violas were magnificent. Gay Blankenship would be proud. I also enjoyed Dan Powell and the brass section and I look forward to more from them in the future. Thank you to Don Dixon for the original idea.
My wife and I are looking forward to our evening out at Soriah's and the Hult. It was very kind of all you.
On your behalf, I've heard many wonderful compliments about our concert. You deserve all of them. It was a great concert to end the year. I hope the summer brings you relaxing times and I look forward to seeing you again in September. Take good care.
Annual Meeting and Election Results
At the annual meeting, at the May 21 rehearsal, the orchestra held an election of officers and members of the Board of Directors. Eleanor Montagna and B.J. Novitski were re-elected President and Secretary/Treasurer respectively. New board members Ken Blanchard, Deb Heaton, David Payton, Rena Segebartt, and Judy Spearin were elected, and former board members Linda Ague, Amey Herman. and Dan Powell were re-elected.
B.J. presented a treasurer’s report for calendar year 2018.
Designated by Conductor Richard Long:
Alex Zunterstein, Concertmaster
Amey Herman, Assistant Concertmaster
Judy Spearin, Principal Second Violin
Rena Segebartt, Principal Viola
BJ Novitski, Principal Cello
Doug Heydon, Principal String Bass
Karen Fiedler, Principal Flute
Barry Jarvis, Principal Oboe
Eleanor Montagna, Principal Clarinet
Patricia Moore, Principal Bassoon
Amos Heifner, Principal French Horn
Barry Barreau, Principal Trumpet
Don Dixon, Principal Trombone
Dawn Jeffries, Principal Percussion
Principal Player job description:
* Assign seating within the section, being sure to rotate players around so they can hear what the orchestra sounds like from different positions and so they can get to know each other better.
* Manage sheet music, keep extra copies, make more if needed, and generally make sure everyone has what they need.
* Maintain communications within the section and recognize any problems in the making
* Allocate solos
* Act as “den mother”: welcome new members, set up a sectional phone tree, plan sectional rehearsals.
Five Keys To Success
1. Arrive no later than 650 p.m., set up your area and warm-up.
2. Have a pencil and use it.
3. Respect the rehearsal process by refraining from talking.
4. Clean up your area when we are done. We are guests.
5. Practice. Be prepared.
Inclement Weather If the Springfield Public Schools are closed due to bad weather, we will not rehearse. When in doubt, check back here.
Missed Rehearsals: If you are going to miss a rehearsal, please let Richard know ASAP. email@example.com. Thank you.